I’ve two prominent memories from my childhood that involve Mars Bars. Random, I know.But being such a well-known and well-loved chocolate here in the UK, I doubt I’m the only one! And if you have never had a Mars Bar (is that even possible?!) you are missing out – but fear not, this Mars Bar Slice is the perfect introduction to a life-long chocolate bar romance.
Want new recipes direct to your email?
Subscribe to get our latest recipes, tips & tricks by email.
Mars Bars and I got off to a rocky start… The first memory I have is perhaps not an actual memory, but an incident I have been reminded of my entire life – so much so that it feel likes a memory now! That would be the fateful day my sister tried to kill me, as a mere baby, by giving me a treatsize Mars Bar whilst I sat in my bouncy seat. Of course, I started to choke and it was up to Granny to resolve the situation with a wallop to my back, as well as giving my
murderous 2 year old sister a good telling off!
The second memory is a slightly cheerier one. I remember my Dad (our beloved Papa!) having a Mars Bar one day when I must have been about 4 or 5 years old. I asked him to try it, loved it and at some point after that I recall being in the chippy with him where he bought me one just for myself! I still remember it being the older packaging and there must have been some sort of promo or competition on the wrapper, as it also had some sort of colourful design across it too.
What could be described as a perfected chocolate bar (aside from it’s shrinking size…) – chewy caramel, soft nougat and delicious chocolate – it’s hard to imagine how you could make it any better than it already is. But to do so is actually incredibly easy! Melt it with some butter, mix in some rice crispies, top with chocolate and bish-bash-bosh you have the most incredible tray bake which is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser! I give you, Mars Bar Slice!
- 115g Butter
- 230g Mars Bars (roughly chopped)
- 4 Cups of Rice Crispies
- 250g Milk Chocolate
- Line a 11x7 inch baking tray with some greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and Mars Bars over a bain marie or in short bursts in a microwave.
- Add the rice crispies to the melted ingredients and mix well, ensuring all are coated.
- Tip into your prepared baking tray and push down with the back of a spoon, ensuring an even finish right into the corners.
- Melt the milk chocolate over a bain marie or in short bursts in the microwave before spreading over the top of your rice crispy base.
- Place into the fridge to set for at least a few hours or ideally overnight. Cut into your desired portion sizes to serve.