It’s acceptable to start getting excited about Christmas now, right? Well how about a Christmas style recipe that can be enjoyed all year round – that’s definitely ok, yeah? Ok, good. Here I present to you the moistest cupcakes in the best flavour combination you could ever hope for: Terry’s Chocolate Orange cupcakes!
Although not strictly Christmas-y there’s no denying that Terrys Chocolate Orange is best loved in the month of December. It’s the perfect stocking filler and one gift that would always be found lying about the house on Boxing Day. And sure, it’s not to everyone’s taste but I for one cannot get enough of the stuff!
This recipe is super tasty, just like the real deal. A moist cupcake, topped with super sweet icing and a wedge of chocolate orange on top just to finish it off. These Terry’s Chocolate Orange cupcakes are the perfect gift for any guests over the festive time or are ideal for giving to teachers, carers or colleagues if you don’t eat them all first. Because remember, they’re not Terry’s, they’re mine!
- 100g Plain Flour
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 40g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 120ml Whole Milk
- 1 Egg (at room temperature)
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 400g Icing Sugar
- 100 Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Orange Extract
- Orange Food Colouring Gel
- Pre-heat your oven to 170°c and line a six hole muffin tray with your muffin cases. Muffin cases make for much better cupcakes but if you want smaller cakes (say-what?!) you can use standard cupcake cases but you'll need to use more in total.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder & salt into a large bowl and add the butter. Mix on a medium speed until you get a sandy consistency.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg, milk & orange zest before gradually adding it to the flour mixture, a little at a time.
- Once both mixture are just combined (cupcakes don't need much mixing, so be gentle) use an ice cream scoop to fill the cases 2/3 full.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Mix the icing sugar & butter in a large bowl on a medium speed. Once combined add the golden sugar & orange extract.
- (Optional) Add the orange food colouring gel to make the desired colour.
- Pipe on your cooled cupcakes & finish with a wedge of Terry's Chocolate Orange. I used the miniature ones but the normal sized ones will be just as good.