Stress & mess aside, I really do love baking with The Boys. John in particular loves nothing more than putting on his apron & chef’s hat and getting his hands floury. It doesn’t actually matter what you tell him we’re making, he will always tell people he’s been, “making biscuits!” But as far as recipes for baking with kids go, I’m always a fan of something, quick, easy & with flavours that meet their approval and these Rainbow Cookies come out tops.
What child doesn’t love biscuits, especially those packed with colour? We don’t need to pretend that these are in anyway healthy (although I maybe should consider doing some sort of healthy kids recipes in future…) but they are definitely a winner as far as John & David are concerned. I even caught them helping themselves to seconds when my back was turned!
The base recipe for these rainbow cookies is one that Granny & I have treasured for years. It came from one of my magazines as a kid (Animals & You, for any 90’s kids out there!) and was part of an article for bake sales to raise money for an animal charity. In fact, I still have the page of the magazine in all it’s dog-eared, butter-stained & faded glory! Part of the reason for sharing it here is also so I can document it somewhere more permanent, as despite managing to keep it for close to 20 years I know a time will come when someone will pick it up, think it’s rubbish and chuck it in the bin!
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can mix it up with any kind of chocolate. A personal favourite of mine is to use left over Easter egg chocolate, which for whatever reason always tastes nicer than chocolate you buy at any other time of year. Otherwise you can use white, dark, dried fruit… On this occasion though we opted for Chocolate M&Ms, just to give ourselves a colourful treat to brighten up a rather stormy week! Sweet, chewy and an array of colours – these rainbow cookies will certainly bright up your day.
Want new recipes direct to your email?
Subscribe to get our latest recipes and all the news from Baking with Granny.
- Preheat your oven to 180°c and lightly grease a baking sheet with a little butter.
- Cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Warm the golden syrup a little (until it's runny), then add to the butter mixture.
- Add your M&Ms/Smarties, then sift in the flour & bicarbonate of soda. Mix until combined.
- Spoon out a heaped teaspoon amount and roll into a small ball before placing onto your pre-greased baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture - you should get around 8-10 cookies.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until golden brown. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.